BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

My Blog List

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Easter "Peeps"

Yesterday Megan and I went out to the barn to feed the chickens.  As I had mentioned in one of my earlier blogs, the hens had layed eggs and nested.  Well we feed our chickens and then nosily checked in on one of our hens to see if she was on the nest.  She was of course on the nest, watching us and giving us the evil eye!  Out of the corner of her eye Megan saw another hen with a bunch of baby chicks.  So we proceeded to investigate, but momma hen was quick on her toes and very protective.  So they headed outside, and we followed.  I quickly got on the phone with Rick to tell him the good news.  He warned us that if we got too close the momma hen would kick our butts.  Isn't it funny how that maternal instinct kicks in...don't mess with the babies!  I took a quick count, it was a little more difficult than you would expect.  Every time I tried to count they would move around, throwing me off once again!  Not to mention I had to take off my shoes to help count, kidding....LOL.  My final count was 16.

So today we headed to the feed store to get some scratch, something the little chicks could eat.  Rick & I headed out to the barn to feed them and take some pictures.  Momma hen was sitting on the ground, all fluffed out and when she stood all those little chicks came crawling out.  It was a funny sight to see...we feed them and peaked inside on our other hen.  She is nesting in an old medal wash bucket nailed to the wall of the barn.  So I carefully climb up and take a peek...and low and behold she has some baby chicks as well.
I couldn't get a count, since she's still nesting.  But I thought "Wow, I got a bunch of baby chicks a few days before Easter."  Is that not the coolest thing ever?


0 comments: