BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

My Blog List

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Memories of Dad

So over the past week, I've had numerous moments when I wished I could just pick-up the phone and call Dad.  Whenever life got hectic, I could always depend on Dad for advice.  Now granted it might not have always been what I wanted to hear, but he always took the time to really listen.  There are so many good stories I wish to share with him, going back to school for my nursing degree, his granddaughters doing wonderfully in school.  The oldest finishing her first year of college, working toward her dream of becoming a marine biologist, the youngest getting straight A's in school and invited to join the Beta Club.  They've grown into beautiful young ladies, and make this mom so proud.  He would be proud of all his children & grandchildren!

Or there are the stories that make you sad, but dad could always make the hurt go away by simply saying "I love you and will always be here for you."  But I recall my dad telling me many times, sometimes you have to let people figure things out for themselves, you can't fix everything for everybody.  You can't change a person, or the way they act or don't act in some instances.  But strangely since losing my Dad I seem to find myself doing just that...trying to step in and fill a void.  Trying to take care of everyone, and be there no matter what, I think it's just my personality to give a damn so to speak. 

He was such a wonderful man who taught me so many things.  He taught me responsibility at a young age, and boy did I hate doing chores.  But we had a huge calender, and each of us had chores for the week.  And we didn't get an allowance, our payment was food, clothing & housing.  He taught me how to manage my money, helped me set-up my first savings account and buy my first car.  I was taught that hard work pays off in the end, that nothing is handed to you.  He was the driving force in me joining the Air Force, and making it a career.  He taught me kindness, humility, and how to be an all around good person.  I couldn't have asked for a better role model.  Most of all I couldn't have asked for a better father.

I love you and miss you each and every day Dad!  I know you're smiling down on the family and enjoying your time with Alan Michael.  Until we are together again, your loving daughter.

0 comments: