BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

My Blog List

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The end of the first semester....

So as the end of my first semester at UT comes to an end, I thought I would share some lessons learned.
Some positive, and some that will make you just shake your head in amazement.  It's been a wonderful experience to say the least, and I'm grateful for this chance to go back to school.

Let's start with the comical aspects of college life, at least funny to me.  The fashion statements of the semester....the knee high rubber boots.  I must say they're really cute, but seriously with short-shorts?  Not a good look if you ask me...sometimes I wonder if these kids have friends.  A good friend would always tell you when you look ridiculous right?  Heck, I have a 13 year old daughter who won't let me leave the house without giving me clothing advice, she's my little fashionista!  See the boots below!!!!  Cute, they come in all different colors and designs.

More comedy, but some frustration as well were the numerous emails received begging for notes.  Now I must admit some of the reasons were funny, some people made up excuses, but my favorite was the brutal honesty..."I partied late last night, and totally overslept".  But it does get old after a few weeks, especially when you start seeing the same names over and over...go to class people!

I have also learned that students today aren't much different from when I was in school long ago.  They're still loud, don't care if they talk and disrupt class, and kicking the feet up on the chairs in front of them.  At times
I've had to bite my tongue, and not let the former me come out.  Never would I have tolerated such blatant disrespect in the military, but I have to remind myself...that was the former you! 

Sometimes classes aren't at all what you expect!  Or shall I say sometimes the professor's surprise you with guest speakers.  One last week left me livid, never in my life have I been so infuriated at school.  If you have
someone come in to speak to your class, should it not be somewhat relevant to the class subject?  This man was arrogant, offensive, and had no business talking to students the way he did.  Then later that afternoon our professor sends out an email, stating that he really didn't cover what she had hoped, but wasn't it really engaging???  So I used that opportunity to tell her exactly what I thought about her guest speaker. 

Never sell yourself short...I was terrified about taking Calculus!  But with hard work, some tutoring, and help from my recitation leader I've made it through!  My last test I scored a 93%, never would I have thought it possible to score that well in math.

And one lesson learned today, don't wait until the last minute to finish papers!  Some things never change I guess, it was the same in high school for me.  I have no problem writing, as long as it's something that interests me.  But this paper has been painful, but it's finally done!

I've been lucky this semester to have enjoyed my classes, and the professors.  I've met some great people, had the opportunity to blog for the university, and just enjoy this new phase in my life.  I'm looking forward to my 3 week break, then the start of summer semester!

0 comments: